Stepping Stones Special School for Children with Autism and Complex Needs has an evidence based teaching and learning Ethos. Our ultimate goal would be to improve learning through effective assessment practices, ensuring that each pupil is enabled to reach their
Assessment is an on-going process throughout the child’s education. Therefore, it is important that all members of the teaching staff and Behavioural team are involved in developing, implementing, and reviewing the assessment policy. Parents should be also involved in the assessment policy, which helps in creating a sense of ownership and allows for a more effective implementation.
It is our intention that teachers will assess students in September, using one of the assessment tools below. Scores will be recorded and stored in the Secretary’s office and accessed by the class teacher as needed. The class teacher may wish to have a copy stored in their classroom (which should be kept in the Assessment folder). The results will be analysed by the Principal, Director of Education,
and Class teacher.
The Assessments utilised in Stepping Stones Special School for Children with Autism and Complex Needs are as follows:
- The Psychoeducational Profile-Third Edition (PEP-3) to assess pupils who are under the age of 6 if appropriate.
- The Assessment of Basic Language and Learning Skills (ABLLS) ages 4-14.
- The Verbal Behaviour Milestones Assessment and Placement Program: The VB-MAPP to assess pupils who are at the ages from 4-14.
- TEACCH Transition Assessment Profile (TTAP) to assess pupils who are 14-18.
- The Assessment of Functional Living Skills (AFLS) to assess pupils from 14-18.
- ASDAN- encourages students to take responsibility for their own learning 14-18.
Please note that the ages specified above may vary as all our pupils have a diagnosis of Autism and Complex Needs. They present with a General Learning Disability that ranges from Mild, to Moderate to Severe. Therefore, the assessment tools mentioned may vary in accordance with the students’ needs and abilities. The school personnel involved in assessing will choose the most appropriate assessment tool.
You can download the entire curriculum here:
Please download this PDF and open it in Acrobat Reader.