BCBA position available starting September 2020, please find further details on our Facebook page or on educationposts.ie. This is a grand funded position and applications are invited from candidates who have a BCBA qualification and at least 5 years experience working in a setting with students with Autism.
All posts by Stepping Stones
The Board of Management annual review of the schools Child Safeguarding Statement was completed on the 12th of March 2020.This review was conducted in accordance with the “Checklist for Review of the Child Safeguarding Statement” published on the Departments website www.education.ie
Signed: Mr Alan Doyle Date: 12/03/2020Chairperson of the Board of Management
Signed: Dolores Cullinane Date: 12/03/2020Principal/Secretary of the Board of Management
Updated document can be viewed here
Stepping Stones Special School caters for pupils with a diagnosis of Autism and Complex Needs from 4-18 years of age. We invite candidates to apply for a Special Class Teacher permanent position commencing February 2020. The successful candidate should have experience in a Special School setting preferably with students with Autism and an understanding of ASD and methodologies used in school settings. In addition the successful candidate must have good interpersonal skills and be able to work as part of a team. Duties, qualifications and salary as outlined on the Dept. of Education’s website. Only those shortlisted for interview will be contacted. Please see link below for more information
Below you will find a list of commonly used terms by the school staff. If there are any terms not listed below that you would like clarification on please don’t hesitate to ask a member of staff.
- ABA – Applied Behavioural Analysis
- ABC – Antecedent Behaviour Consequence (What happens before, during and after a behaviour)
- ABLLS – Assessment of Basic Language and Learning Skills
- AFLS – Assessment of Functional Living Skills
- Attention Autism – Attention Autism is an intervention model designed by Gina Davies, Specialist Speech and Language Therapist. It aims to develop natural and spontaneous communication through the use of visually based and highly motivating activities. http://best-practice.middletownautism.com/approaches-of-intervention/attention-autism/
- BM – Bowel movement
- BSP – Behavioural Support Plan
- DTT – Discrete Trial Training
- Edmark – A reading program that uses carefully sequenced, highly repetitive word recognition method combined with errorless learning.
- Echoic – The Echoic is a form of verbal behaviour where the speaker repeats the same sound or word that was said by another person, like an echo. … When they imitate vocally, we call this echoic behaviour.
- DRO – a technique that involves reinforcing (rewarding) a student if an undesired behaviour is NOT displayed during a designated time period. You will differentially reinforce (reward under certain conditions) the absence of the behaviour for a certain time period.
- IEP – Individual Education Plan
- ITT – Intense Table Teaching
- JCP – Junior Cycle Program
- Mand – A mand is essentially a request. A child mands when the motivation is high for an item, activity or information. For example, a thirsty child says “water” while reaching for a cup of water.
- NEPS – National Educational Psychological Service
- OT – Occupational Therapy
- PE – Physical Education
- PG – Playground
- Prompts – Encourage using verbal or physical cues.
- SESE – Social, environmental and scientific education
- SIB – Self Injurious Behaviour
- SLT – Speech and Language Therapy
- SPHE -Social, personal and health education
We have introduced the Junior Cycle Level 1 learning program with our senior students this year. The level 1 learning programs are made up of six Priority Learning Units(PLUs) which explicitly identify and develop the key areas of the learning needed to prepare the students for their future lives.
- Communication, Language and Literacy.
- Personal Care and Wellbeing
- Being part of a Community
- The Arts
- Physical Education
Each student that engages in the L1 JCP program uses a tablet to upload the evidence of their work on a continuous basis which is assessed by their class teacher.